The Importance Of English Communication Skills
In the modern world, English communication skills are more important than ever before. English is the language of travel, of science, of work and more. If you want to improve your employability and have the freedom to travel anywhere then you need to learn English.
Having a good level of spoken English is one of the number one qualities employers look for, so we’re going to give you some tips on how to improve your speaking ability.
How To Improve English Speaking Skills
It’s not enough to just improve your English; you need to know HOW to improve English speaking skills.
- The number one thing you need to do is speak English every single day. If you really want to improve, then you need to speak every day as much as possible. This is how you’re going to make the biggest improvements. If you don’t speak, then you won’t improve.
- Find a language partner. It can be difficult to find opportunities to practise speaking and sometimes native English speakers can be impatient. So try and find a language partner who is learning as well and can help you. If you are studying in school you can see if there are any students who want to practise with you, or you can find language partners online. Italki is a great website to find language partners.
- Try to speak about different topics. If you talk about the same sort of things over and over again then you’ll get very good at talking about them but you won’t really improve your speaking skills. Instead try to make the effort to talk about a variety of topics. You might find it difficult to talk about science at first, but the more you do this, the better you will get at it. It’s an important part of learning.
How To Learn Spoken English At Home Without A Partner
Sometimes when you want to practise English speaking, you might find that you don’t always have the opportunity and finding a partner can be difficult. But don’t worry! There are things you can do to practise English without a language partner.
- Record yourself speaking English every day. Try to spend five-ten minutes a day minimum and speak into a recording device. Think of this like a verbal diary, talk about what you did during the day, what you ate who you saw and you’ll notice a difference after a few weeks.
- Narrate what you do while you’re in the house (for example, talk about how you are making a meal)
- Choose a book or movie and verbally review it to help you use different vocabulary. Or you can give a presentation about something. It might feel strange doing this to yourself but it will help a lot with using different types of vocabulary when speaking.
- Use websites to find a language partner and speak to them from the comfort of your own home. Some great websites are: italki, conversationexchange and HelloTalk
- Improve your writing skills. If you take the time to improve your writing skills, you’ll notice that your speaking skills get better as well. So consider keeping some kind of diary or writing essays that interest you. You can even get native speakers to check these for you and your overall grammar will also improve.
How To Speak English Fluently And Confidently
It’s not just enough to improve your speaking ability in English, you also want to improve your fluency and confidence in order to have more advanced conversations and to speak better English. The more confident you are able to speak the more likely native speakers will be to converse with you.
Improving fluency comes with practise. In order to improve your fluency you need to be comfortable speaking in English, which means you have to speak in English a lot!
Our top tip for improving English fluency is you need to speak English every single day. It doesn’t matter what you’re doing or even if you just speak to yourself. If you want to improve your English fluency then you have to speak every day, as much as you can.
The more you speak, the more your fluency will improve.
One of the top tips we can give you to improve your confidence in English is: ‘don’t worry about mistakes.’ It’s ok if you can’t speak perfectly and even the best English speakers will make mistakes sometimes.
If you make a mistake but can still be understood then it’s not a problem. If you continue speaking you will come across as more confident with your English and you’ll feel more confident at the same time.
To improve your vocab when speaking English you need to use more complicated vocab. Most of the time when people speak, they only use 2000 words, because we don’t talk about complicated concepts every day.
If you want to improve your vocab while you speak then you need to learn new vocabulary and try to use it often. Which means you need to start talking about more complicated topics.
Instead of talking about movies, try to talk about politics, art or the environment so you can have a chance to use new vocabulary. The more you use it, the easier it will be for you to remember this new vocabulary.
- You can use Anki or Memrise to learn new vocab fast
- Expose yourself to programmes, documentaries and more where you’ll encounter new vocabulary
- Then try to fit it into your conversations so you can practise using it
Just by following these steps, you will see your speaking skills improving day by day and will be on the way to linguistic success. You can’t get better overnight but by practising every single day, you’ll notice a huge difference in your English speaking skills. And as we’ve just mentioned, one of the most useful things you can do to improve your English oral skills is to try to talk about a varied range of topics and to practise using vocabulary and grammar structures that you wouldn’t necessarily use.